If you are seeking texts by Brecht in English translation, here are some tips to explore.
Brecht's Works in English: A Bibliography
Check this new website with almost 3000 entries if you are looking for Brecht's plays, poems, songs, stories, or essays in English translation:
Questions about English-language performance rights of Brecht's plays? Click here for more details.
Brecht in English Translation
The following list includes most of the Brecht volumes currently available in English translation. For additional out-of-print translations and editions, see the bibliographies in The Cambridge Companion to Brecht, ed. by Peter Thomson and Glendyr Sacks (Cambridge University Press, 2nd revised ed., 2006), pp. 288-90, or A Bertolt Brecht Reference Companion, ed. by Siegfried Mews (Greenwood Press, 1997), pp. 399-402.
For an out-of-date, 2001 table comparing various translations of Brecht’s works in English, click here:
Brecht’s works in English translation were published until 2006 mainly by Methuen Publishing Ltd. These editions plus new ones are now available from Bloomsbury Publishing:
They include single play editions as well as the Collected Works of Brecht, as follows:
Vol. 1 (Baal, Drums in the Night, In the Jungle of Cities, The Life of Edward II of England, and five one-act plays)
Vol. 2 (Man Equals Man, The Elephant Calf, The Threepenny Opera, The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, The Seven Deadly Sins)
Vol. 3 (St. Joan of the Stockyards, Lindbergh's Flight, The Baden-Baden Lesson on Consent, He Said Yes / He Said No, The Decision, The Exception and the Rule, The Horatians and the Curiations, The Mother)
Vol. 4 (Round Heads and Pointed Heads, Fear and Misery of the Third Reich, Senora Carrar's Rifles, Dansen, How Much is Your Iron? The Trial of Lucullus)
Vol. 5 (Galileo, Mother Courage and Her Children)
Vol. 6 (The Good Person of Szechwan, The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, Mr Puntila and His Man Matti)
Vol. 7 (The Visions of Simone Machard, Schweyk in the Second World War, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, The Duchess of Malfi)
Vol. 8 (Antigone, The Days of the Commune, Turandot)
The Berliner Ensemble Adaptations (The Tutor, Coriolanus, The Trial of Joan of Arc at Rouen, 1431, Don Juan, Trumpets and Drums)
The DramaOnline website, maintained by Bloomsbury Publishing, lists over 40 editions of Brecht plays available for purchase and download:
Also available from Bloomsbury Publishing by Brecht:
· Brecht on Theatre. Ed. and trans. by Marc Silberman, Steve Giles, and Tom Kuhn, 3rd, rev. edition (2015)
· Brecht on Performance: Messingkauf and Modelbooks. Ed. and trans. by Tom Kuhn, Steve Giles, and Marc Silberman (2015)
· Brecht on Art and Politics. Ed. by Tom Kuhn and Steve Giles (2003)
· Brecht on Film and Radio. Ed. and trans. by Marc Silberman. (2001)
· Collected Short Stories. Ed. by John Willett and Ralph Manheim. Intro. by Marc Silberman (2015)
· The Business Affairs of Mr Julius Caesar. Trans. by Charles Osborne, ed. by Tom Kuhn (2016)
· Poems 1913-1956, Ed. by John Willett and Ralph Manheim.
· Poems and Songs from the Plays, trans. and ed. by John Willett. (171 poems not included in Poems 1913-1956)
· Bad Time for Poetry, ed. John Willett.
· Journals 1934-1955. Trans. by Hugh Rorrison. Ed. by John Willett.
· Letters 1913-1956. Trans. by Ralph Manheim. Ed. by John Willett.
· Diaries 1920-1922. Ed. by Hertha Ramthun.
· Mother Courage and Her Children (the National Theatre version, 1995, by David Hare)
· Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny. Ed. and trans. Steve Giles.
· Bertolt Becht. Poetry and Prose. Ed. by Reinhold Grimm in collaboration with Caroline Molina y Vedia. [includes 42 German/English poetry selections from all phases as well as two Tales from the Calendar ("Socrates Wounded," "The Unseemly Old Lady"); all translations from the Methuen Brecht edition]
Arcade Publishing in the United States issued individual volumes from the Methuen series. The publisher went bankrupt in 2009. Some may be available as used books.
Available from W. W. Norton:
· Love Poems. Trans. by David Constantine and Tom Kuhn. New York and London: Liveright Publishing, 2014. (http://books.wwnorton.com/books/Love-Poems/)
Available from City Lights (http://www.citylights.com)
· Bertolt Brecht. The Stories of Mr. Keuner. Translated by Martin Chalmers. San Francisco: City Lights, 2001.
Grove Atlantic publishes the following translations of Brecht plays under the editorship of Eric Bentley (http://www.groveatlantic.com), search "Brecht":
· Three Plays: Baal, A Man’s a Man, The Elephant Calf. Translated by Eric Bentley.
· Edward II. Translated by Eric Bentley.
· Galileo. Translated by Charles Laughton.
· The Jewish Wife and Other Short Plays (Three scenes from Fear and Misery of the Third Reich: The Jewish Wife, In Search of Justice, The Informer; The Measures Taken, The Exception and the Rule, Salzburg Dance of Death, What Was He Killed For?). Translated by Eric Bentley.
· Jungle of the Cities and Other Plays (includes also Drums in the Night and Roundheads and Peakheads). Translated by Anselm Hollo and Frank Jones.
· Manual of Piety.
· Mother Courage and Her Children . Translated by Eric Bentley.
· The Mother. Translated by Lee Baxandall.
· Nine Plays of the Modern Theatre (includes The Caucasian Chalk Circle. Translated by Eric Bentley).
· The Threepenny Opera. Translated by Bentley and Desmond Vesey.
University of Minnesota Press publishes two Brecht plays in the original (1948) translations of Eric Bentley (http://www.upress.umn.edu):
· The Good Woman of Setzuan
· The Caucasian Chalk Circle
PenguinClassics (USA) publishes three of the Willett-Manheim translations from the Methuen series (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/classics/index.html), search "Brecht":
Good Person of Szechwan
The Threepenny Opera
Life of Galileo